It is situated on the river Phinisk, comprises 7518 statute acres, of which 1273 are mountain. Within its limits are the ruins of many ancient buildings, the principal of which belonged to the McGrath's, who were extensive proprietors in the part of the country: the castle of Sledy was built by Philip McGrath in 1628; and there are considerable remains of another, called Mountain Castle, where a fair is held on the 1st of May. At Kilkenny is a fine vein of lead-ore near the surface, from which the ore is taken up in powdered state with the shovel, and used by the potters for glazing: the contiguity of a deep ravine affords great facilities for working it.
The principal seat is Rockfield, a handsome mansion. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore: the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Modeligo in the cathedral of Lismore; and the vicarage is united to that of Kilgobinet, together forming the union of Modeligo, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithe rent-charge of the parish is £202.10., two-thirds payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar: there is neither church, or glebe-house, nor glebe.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a district comprising also the parish of Affane, each containing a chapel. The ruins of the church still remain. There is a vitriolic spring in the parish , the water of which is clear and of sharp and acid taste.