Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960  Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Articles    Photos
Table Of Contents
2.
15.
16.
17.
21.
23.
25.
37.
57.
59.
62.
64.
69.
Ringagonagh or Ring
70.
74.

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County

70. Ringagonagh or Ring
Ringagonagh,or Ring, a parish, in the union of Dungarvan, partly in the barony of Decies-within-Drum, but chiefly in that of Decies-without-Drum, county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 5 miles (S.S.E.) from Dungarvan; containing 2591 inhabitants. This parish, which is called also Rineogonagh, is bounded on the north by Dungarvan bay and harbour, and on the north-west by the Bricky river; and comprises 3246 statute acres. It contains a portion of Slieve-Grine, or the Drum mountain; and stretching into Dungarvan bay are the long promontories of Helvic Head and the Cunnigar.

Part of the land, more especially that bordering on Dungarvan, is of good quality and in a high state of cultivation; the system of agriculture is improved, and within the last few years, some of the highest hills have been brought into cultivation. The principal manure is sand and sea-weed, which are found in abundance in the bay and on the coast; during the greater part of May and June, from 50 to 100 boats are employed in collecting and conveying the weed to Dungarvan for sale, and frequently a revenue of £50 a day is thus derived by the parish. The surrounding scenery is bold, and in many parts strikingly romantic and picturesque.

The herring-fishery is carried on to a considerable extent: from 40 to 50 boats are engaged in taking the fish, which are found here in abundance, and cured; not less than 200 persons are employed in that trade. Near Helvick Head about a dozen houses were built, in 1828, for the accommodation of the fishermen; and a pier was at the same time erected to form a harbour for their boats by Lord Stuart de Decies, the principal landed proprietor of the parish.

A coast-guard station has been established, which is one of the five constituting the district of Youghal. Between the village of Ring and the Black Rock, which stands at the mouth of the harbour of Dungarvan, about midway, lies a dangerous ledge of rocks on which several vessels have been lately lost; the rocks are partially visible at the lowest spring tides: a lighthouse here is very desirable.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithe rent-charge is £166.3., two-thirds payable to the impropriator, and one-third to the vicar. There is no glebe-house; the glebe consists of 1½ acre. The church was rebuilt in 1822, the late board of First Fruits contributing £600; it is a plain and neat edifice. The Roman Catholic parish is much more extensive than that of the Established church, as it includes Ballycurreen and a large tract of mountain of Slieve Grine; the chapel is a modern edifice, situated on an eminence. Near the church is a well dedicated to St Nicholas; and on an eminence in the parish is an artificial cavern.

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.
Email:

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
© Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design