On the Island is a comfortable farm-house, near which is an old castle, supposed to have been erected in the sixteenth century; it is a strong square building with lofty battlements, having a small pointed entrance archway, above which is an oriel window with some rude sculpture; a staircase, faintly lighted by loopholes, leads to the summit, from which the view is singularly grand and extensive: it is the property and occasional residence of J. Fitzgerald, Esq. In the parish are several gentlemen's seats, of which is May Park, the residence of George Meara, Esq., pleasantly situated near the banks of the Suir, and commanding some fine views; Mount Pleasant, the handsome residence of S. King, Esq., near the high road; Belmont, the seat of J. Roberts, Esq., situated near the river; and Ballynakill House, the property of N. Power, Esq., now occupied by a tenant. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Waterford, with the vicarages of Ballygunner, Kilmacleague, and Kilmacomb episcopally united, together forming the union of Ballyinakill, in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate to the Dean and Chapter of Waterford. The tithes amount to £139.3.6. of which £84.1.9. is payable to the dean and chapter, and £55.1.9. to the vicar; and the tithes of the whole benefice amount to £245.0.10.
The Church, a neat edifice with awas built by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1816. There is no glebe-house: the glebe, situated in another part of the union, comprises 10 acres. In R.C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of St. John's, Waterford. A Protestant school, endowed with lands by Bishop Foy, and at a proper age apprenticed, is supported under the control of the Bishop, Dean, and Mayor of Waterford.