The building had various uses over the years. In 1875 the Augustinians opened a school upstairs in the theatre. They were forced to leave in 1880 because the pupils were being constantly disrupted by travelling opera and theatre companies wishing to practice. The ground floor was used as a butter market. It also housed the town fire engine and in the early 1900s it was used by Sheehan & Co. as a poultry market. In 1922 the building was occupied by British troops for several weeks and the U.D.C. later put in a claim for damages.
The U.D.C. vacated the building on 16 April 1999. The museum moved into this building in the same year and it opened to the public in 2000. After extensive refurbishment of the Town Hall the museum re-opened as Waterford County Museum in 2009 with a larger display area.