|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County|
|Page Title :||Dunhill|
|Page Number :||19|
|Publication Date :||15 March 2011|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
Dunhill, or Don Isle, anciently called Dondrone, a parish, in the barony of Middlethird in the county of Waterford, and province of Munster 8 miles (S. E.) from Kilmacthomas; containing 2128 inhabitants. It is situated on St. George's channel, and comprises 6115 statute acres, as applotted under the tithes act. The high lands are principally composed of pudding-stone and clay-slate, with large masses of jasper, some of which is very beautiful.
The village of Annestown has a few lodging-houses for accommodation of visiters in the bathing season. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, united to the vicarages of Guilcagh and Newcastle, and in the gift of the Corporation of Waterford, in which the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £210, of which £110 is payable to the impropriators, and £100 to the vicar; and the vicarial tithes of the union are £194. The glebe comprises above 6 acres. The church at Annestown was rebuilt in 1822, by aid of a gift of £900 from the late board of First Fruits; and there is a chapel of ease at Guilcagh.
In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, and has a commodious chapel. The most remarkable ruin is Don Isle or Donhill castle, which was a principal seat of a branch of the La Poers, and was taken by Cromwells army, after an abstinate defence made by a female proprietor, who was called Countess of Don Isle. Near it are the ruins of the church, against one of the walls of which stood a statue with coronet, which has lately been placed in front of the R.C. chapel. In its vicinity is a cromlech of silicious slate.