Organisation : Waterford County Museum
Article Title : Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County
Page Title : Kilcockan
Page Number : 34
Publication Date : 15 March 2011
Expiry Date : Never Expires
Category : Home
URL : http://www.waterfordmuseum.ie/exhibit/web?task=Display&art_id=332&pagenum=34&lang=en

Kilcockan, a parish,in the union of Lismore, barony of Coshbride, county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 6 miles (E.S.E.) from Tallow, and on the river Blackwater; containing 1420 inhabitants. It comprises 4538 statute acres, and includes the modern castle of Strancally, the seat of the propriator of the parish, a large Gothic building, in a richly planted demesne of about 1000 acres. This parish is in the diocese of Lismore; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire and J.Keily, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Templemichael. The tithe rent-charge is £177.3., of which £51.18.6. are payable to each of the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar.

In the Roman Catholic divisions Kilcockan forms part of the district of Templemichael, also called Knockanore, or Kilwatermoy, and has a chapel recently erected. Here are the ruins of the ancient castle of Strancally, which formerly belonged to the earls of Desmond, and after its fortfeiture by the family was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Sir Walter Raleigh, by whom it was assigned to the Earl of Cork. This castle appears to have been partially demolished with gunpowder a long time since, and was recently struck by lighting, which caused a large portion of it to fall into the Blackwater.


© Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use