|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County|
|Page Title :||Killure|
|Page Number :||41|
|Publication Date :||15 March 2011|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
Killure, a parish, in the barony of Gaultier, union and county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 3 miles (S.S.E.) from Waterford, on the road to Dunmore; containing 124 inhabitants. This parish, which in its civil relations is considered as forming part of the parish of Kill St. Lawerence, comprises 627 statute acres.
The living, which was lately suppressed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, was a rectory, in the diocese of Waterford, united, with the rectory of Kill St. Lawerence, in 1787, to the rectories of Rossduff, Corbally, and Kilronan, together forming the union of Killure, in the patronage of the Bishop: the commissioners now appoint a curate, to whom they allow £25 a year. The tithe rent-charge of the parish is £32.5., and of the whole union £126: there is neither a glebe-house nor glebe.
A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here in the 12th century; it was subsequently given to the Knights Hospitallers, and after its dissolution was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Nicholas Aylmer, for 50 years, at an annual rent of £13.6.8.