|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County|
|Page Title :||Kilmoleran|
|Page Number :||47|
|Publication Date :||15 March 2011|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
Kilmoleran, a parish, in the union of Carrick-on-Suir, barony of Upperthird, county of Waterford, and province of Munster; containing, with the suburb of the town of Carrick-on-Suir, called Carrickbeg 3113 inhabitants.
An abbey is said to have been erected at Bolhendesart by St. Maidoc of Ferns, in the 6th century. The parish comprises 1938 statute acres, forming a beautiful tract on the southern bank of the river Suir, and includes the demesne of Coolnamuck, around which are some remarkable fine trees: the ruins of the castle built by Giraldus Wall, add considerably to the beauty of the place, and are preserved with great care.
Kilmoleran is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the vicarial union of Dysart; the rectory forms part of the corps of the prebend of Dysart in the cathedral of Lismore, and the tithe rent-charge is £144.4., of which £96.2.6. are payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar. Glan-Patrick, which is now within the western boundary of the parish, was formerly a separate parish.
In the Roman Catholic divisions Kilmoleran is the head of a district, called Carrickbeg, comprising the parishes of Kilmoleran, Dysart, and Fenagh, with part of Carrick, and containing chapels at Carrickbeg and Windgap. The ancient castle of Ballyclough stands on a steep hill, all the accessible parts of which are commanded by loop-holes and embrasures: a circular staircase conducts to the water tower, from which there is an extensive view.