|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County|
|Page Title :||Kilrossanty|
|Page Number :||50|
|Publication Date :||15 March 2011|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
Kilrossanty, a parish, (in the union of Dungannon), barony of Decies-without-Drum, county of Waterford, and a province of Munster, 5 miles (W.S.W.) from Kilmacthomas, and on the old road from Waterford to Dungarvan; containing 3615 inhabitants. This parish comprises of 17,416 statute acres; the soil is generally of inferior quality, and there are about 1000 acres of bog. It extends from the eastern base of the Cummeragh mountains, and includes the hamlets of Cummeragh and Glendaligan; the principal seats are Roxborough, Mount Kennedy, and Brook Lodge. Fairs are held at Ballycaroge on the 2nd and 21st of October.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lismore, and in the gift of the Bishop, who also presents to the rectory, which forms the corps of the prebend of Kilrossanty in the cathedral of Lismore: the tithe rent-charge is £450, of which £300 are payable to the prebendary, and £150 to the vicar. The glebe-house was erected in 1807, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £314 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 17 acres. The church was built in 1808, by a gift of £500 from the same Board, and has been repaired by a grant of £240 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
In the Roman Catholic divisions Kilrossanty is the head of a district, comprising this parish and Fews, in each of which is a chapel. There is a public school to which Colonel Palliser subscribes £40 annually, besides giving the school-house; and near the Roman Catholic chapel a commodious school-house has been erected by subscription, on a site given by Pierse G. Barron, Esq. In the bed of a stream is a detached fragment of rock split through, called Clough Lowris, or "the speaking stone". At Barnakile are some remains of a castle, and there was one at Ballycaroge belonging to the Walsh family.