|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County|
|Page Title :||Kilsheelan|
|Page Number :||51|
|Publication Date :||15 March 2011|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
Kilsheelan, a parish, in the union of Clonmel, partly in the barony of Upperthird, county of Waterford, but chiefly in that of Iffa and Offa East, county of Tipperary, in the province of Munster, 5 miles (W.) from Carrick-on-Suir, and on the road from Clonmel to Waterford; containing 1936 inhabitants, of whom 435 are in the village.
The village consists of 74 houses, and is a constabulary police station: here is a bridge over the river Suir. The principle seats are Newtown Anner, Landscape, and Gurteen. Adjoining the magnificent woods of this last demesne, which contains a cromlech, is a large ravine composed of strata of red sandstone, white silicious sandstone, and soft slaty rock which decomposes into pure yellow ochreous earth.
Kilsheelan is a vicarage in the diocese of Lismore, united to the rectory of Kilmurry, and in the gift of the Marquis of Ormonde, in whom the rectory is impropriate. The tithe rent-charge of the parish is £285.15., of which £187.15.6. are payable to the vicar, and the remainder to the impropriator; the tithe of the entire benefice of the encumbent is £566.14.
In Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the district of Kilgrant or Riverstown, and contains a chapel. The late W.Power, Esq., of Ballydino, left 30 acres of land and £5000 for the establishment of an almshouse. Here are some remains of the ancient church, and of a castle; also a large moat.