|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County|
|Page Title :||Modeligo|
|Page Number :||59|
|Publication Date :||15 March 2011|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
Modeligo, a parish, in the union of Dungarvan, barony of Decies without Drum, county of Waterford, in the province of Munster, 6½ miles (E. By N.) from Lismore; containing 2466 inhabitants.
It is situated on the river Phinisk, comprises 7518 statute acres, of which 1273 are mountain. Within its limits are the ruins of many ancient buildings, the principal of which belonged to the McGrath's, who were extensive proprietors in the part of the country: the castle of Sledy was built by Philip McGrath in 1628; and there are considerable remains of another, called Mountain Castle, where a fair is held on the 1st of May. At Kilkenny is a fine vein of lead-ore near the surface, from which the ore is taken up in powdered state with the shovel, and used by the potters for glazing: the contiguity of a deep ravine affords great facilities for working it.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a district comprising also the parish of Affane, each containing a chapel. The ruins of the church still remain. There is a vitriolic spring in the parish , the water of which is clear and of sharp and acid taste.