Ballygunner, a parish, in the barony of Gaultier, county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 3 miles (E.S.E.) of Waterford; containing 709 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Waterford, which here divides into two branches leading respectively to Passage and Tramore; it comprises 1369 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Near the point were the road divides is a stone which is supposed to have been part of an ancient cromlech, from which circumstance the the adjacent house, belonging to Mr. Reynett, derived its appellation Mount Druid.
A constabulary police station has been established, and petty sessions for the division are held every fortnight, at Callaghan, in this parish. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Waterford, and is part of the union of Ballinakill; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of the cathedral church of Waterford. The tithes amount to £157.7.4. of which £92.19.3. is payable to the dean and chapter, and £64.8.1. to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Trinity Within and St. John, Waterford, and contains a chapel. A school is supported by an annual donation of £21 from ---- Fitzgerald, Esq.