Organisation : Waterford County Museum
Article Title : Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County
Page Title : Newcastle
Page Number : 64
Publication Date : 15 March 2011
Expiry Date : Never Expires
Category : Home
URL : http://www.waterfordmuseum.ie/exhibit/web?task=Display&art_id=332&pagenum=64&lang=en

Newcastle, a parish, partly in the barony of Decies-without-Drum, but chiefly in the barony of Middlethird, union and county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 7 miles (W.S.W.) from Waterford, on the road to Dungarvan; containing 1337 inhabitants. It comprises 3961 statute acres, presenting a dreary surface of naked rocks, intermixed with small patches of cultivation, and tracts of heath and furze.

The parish is a vicarage, in the dioceses of Lismore, forming part of the union of Dunhill: the rectory is impropriate in the Corporation of Waterford, and the tithe rent-charge is £112.10., of which £67.10. are payable to the impropriators and the remainder to the vicar. Near Knockaderry, on the southern confines of the parish, is a subterraneous passage in a solid rock, supposed to have some connextion with Druidical rites; and under a cairn of stones here was discovered a kist-vaen containing human bones, some of which appeared to have been burnt.


© Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use