|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County|
|Page Title :||Rathmoylan|
|Page Number :||68|
|Publication Date :||15 March 2011|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
Rathmoylan, a parish, in the barony of Gaultier, union and county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Dunmore; containing 817 inhabitants. This parish is situated on St. George's Channel, and contains the villages of Rathmoylan and Ballymacaw, chiefly inhabited by fishermen, whose occupation, however, is rendered very precarious from the rocky nature of the coast. It comprises 2456 statute acres.
A part of the parish extends southwards along the eastern side of Tramore bay to Brownstown Head, which forms the eastern boundary of the bay, and, from the similarity of its appearance to the land at the entrance of Waterford harbour, has often been fatally mistaken for the entrance into that harbour; but two beacon towers have been placed on Brownstown Head as a warning to mariners. The cliffs are pierced by several caves; and at the north- east extremity of Tramore bay, and not far from the parish, is the small harbour of Rhineshark, in which vessels that are embayed in Tramore may find shelter.
By inquisition taken in 1537, this rectory and that of Killea were found to belong to the monastery of St. John the Evangelist, in the city if Waterford; and they were subsequently in the possession of the family of Wyse, in right of their manor near the city. The parish is in the diocese of Waterford: the rectory is now impropriate in Nicolas Hearn Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Killea. The tithe rent-charge is £124.6., of which £53.5. are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar.