Organisation : Waterford County Museum
Article Title : Lewis's Topographical Dictionary - Waterford County
Page Title : Tramore
Page Number : 77
Publication Date : 15 March 2011
Expiry Date : Never Expires
Category : Home

Tramore, a maritime market and post town, in the parish of Drumcannon, barony of Middlethird, union and county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 6 miles (S.S.W) from Waterford, and 81¾ miles (S.W.) from Dublin; containing 1120 inhabitants.

This town is situated at the north-western extremity of the bay of Tramore, to which it gives name; commanding a fine view of the sea, and sheltered by the surrounding heights from the prevailing winds. In the reign of Henry V., the Irish sept of the Powers, with their adherents, being then in a state of hostility with the citizens of Waterford, landed at this place, and proceeding to Ballymacdane were joined by the O'Driscolls, when a battle occurred, in which they were defeated by the citizens with great slaughter.

The advantages of its situation and its fine beach, which is more than three English miles in length and perfectly firm and level, have made this a town a favorite place of resort for seabathing by the inhabitants of Waterford and of the adjacent counties. Many comfortable lodging-houses have been built for the accommodation of visiters, and like-wise a spacious hotel; the town consists of 242 houses, and has a receiving-house for letters. A new line of road on a better level has been constructed from Waterford, and facilities of intercourse with the city are afforded by numerous vehicles. Races, which are much encouraged by the neighbouring gentry, and supported by subscription, are held annually on the strand.

At one extremity of the beach, immense heaps of sand have been thrown up by the sea and now form
a rabbit warren; from their summit is a view of the bay, the navigation of which is very dangerous. In 1816, the Sea-Horse transport, with the 2nd battalion of the 59th regiment of foot, was wrecked in this bay, when 292 men and 71 women and children perished.

Within the entrance of the bay are two small fishing-coves, from which it has been proposed to carry out two piers for the prevention of similar calamities, and which would also form a commodious harbour for the boats employed in the Nymph-bank fisheries. The market is on Saturdays, and is well supplied with meat, fish, and vegetables; it is held in a walled square, along one side of which are sheds, erected by Lord Doneraile.

A chief constabulary police force is stationed here,  and petty-sessions are held on alternate Tuesdays. The parish church of Drumcannon is situated in the town, and in the churchyard is a monument raised by the surviving officers of the 59th to the memory of the shipwrecked soldiers of that regiment; they also erected a monument in the cemetery of the old church at Drumcannon, over the remains of those who were interred there.

The town is the head of a Roman Catholic district, comprising the parishes of Drumcannon and Corbally, in each of which is a chapel, that Drumcannon being in the town of Tramore. An almshouse founded for 12 men  and 12 women by Mrs. Catherine Walsh, and a dispensary maintained in the customary manner, are also situated in the town; near which are the ruins of the castle of Cullen, formerly a place of great strength.

© Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use