|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Tallow : An Outline History|
|Page Title :||Famous Sons Of Tallow|
|Page Number :||9|
|Publication Date :||09 November 2013|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
Archbishop Tobias Kirby
The late archbishop of Ephesus, Tobias Kirby, was a native of Tallow, Co. Waterford. He was born. On January the 1st. 1804 and baptised on the 6th January, 1804.
During his life he wrote an important thesis on Papal Infallibility. He was ordained in 1833 and was appointed Vice Rector of the Irish College in Rome In 1837 and was Monsignor in 1860. He succeeded Cardinal Cullen .as Rector in 1870. He was appointed Titular Bishop of Lita in 1882 and Arch-bishop of Ephesus in 1885. Old age obliged him to retire in 1891 and his death occurred on January 20th, 1895 and he was laid to rest in Rome.
Right Rev. Monsignor Michael J. White
Verv Rev. Dr. P. Beecher D.D.
After his ordination, he went to Canada, where he was appointed a Professor and Prefect of studies at Regiopolus College, ingston. He returned to Ireland in 1904 and was appointed to the chair of Pastoral Theology and Sacred Eloquence at Maynooth. He was appointed General Secretary for Ireland of the Caltus of the Holy Shroud of Turin about which he had written a widely read book. He was the author of "Hints on Reading and Public Speaking". His death occurred in June 1940 and he was laid to rest in his native Tallow.
From March 17th, 1946 he appeared annually at the Royal Albert Hall in London and in other Irish Halls throughout Scotland and England. One of his big moments was when he sang to a capacity crowd at Carnegie Hall in New York and other halls in Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia and in many other major cities in the U.S.
During the 1940's he was a member of the Dublin Grand Operatic Society and took the leading part with many world-renowned singers.
His farewell concert was given in his birthplace, Fermoy, in June 1965, and he died peacefully on 16th July, 1965.
In 1815 it is not known what he did but it is most probable that he draughted plans and helped his father in connection with his work. At the age of fourteen he was placed in the office of Michael Foote an Attorney in Patrick Street, but he had an immense dislike for this type of work.
Two years later he was apprenticed to Thomas Deane, a builder and architect, here he first worked as a Carpenter. In 1819 he carved a full size skeleton in pinewood and in 1820 his apprenticeship expired in March and then encouraged by Deane, he applied himself to sculpture with a view to making a profession.
In the course of three years he had acquired a thorough knowledge of the structure of the human form. 'Hogan's first work was to attract with a life-size figure of "Minerva" for an insurance office in the South Mall in Cork which was built by Deane.
He went to Rome in 1825 and returned in 1848. His chief works were "The Dead Christ" and "Hibernia".
He died in his house in Wenthworth Place on 27th March, 1858 and was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery where his grave is marked with a plain slab, on which the single word HOGAN Is inscribed.
He was there to toll the bells when death brought sorrow to the homes of the parish. He was there every morning to prepare the altar and serve the Masses of the many priests who passed through Tallow in his time.
As a young man John was interned in Spike Island during the troubles. After a brief time in the National Army he carried on business as a tailor. His home was always the focal point for anyone with a "yarn" to tell or who had time to listen to one.
Whether it was at Aherne's window or in one of the local hostelries, he was always good company and a fine conversationalist.