|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||About Waterford Co. Museum|
|Page Title :||Introduction|
|Page Number :||1|
|Publication Date :||31 December 2013|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
|Category :||About Us|
The idea for a permanent Museum in Dungarvan was first put forward by Dungarvan I.C.A. who organised a public meeting in 1982. From this meeting an ad-hoc committee was appointed to set up and plan for the establishment of a new Museum and to acquire a suitable premises. R.A Merry's Wine Stores at Main street was put on the market and purchased by the then County Manager for conversion into a Library, Museum and Tourist Office. The building was originally designed as a Market House, (an open arcade on the ground floor) with the Corporation Chambers overhead. A charter of 1610 issued by James II instructed the Corporation to erect a stone Guild Hall. The building was in existence in 1642 when its capture is recorded. The present building probably incorporates part of this earlier structure. By the mid 19th. century the building was owned by The Duke of Devonshire. Griffith's Valuation 1851 refers to the Market House and Butter-Crane, the latter was leased to Beresford Boate. The Duke sold the Market House with the rest of his Dungavan Estate in 1861. The Market House was purchased by John R. Dower. The latter sold it to Robert A. Merry c. 1868, who used it as a wine store and offices. Edmond Power of Ballygagin, a United Irishman, was hanged from one of the front windows in 1799.
The Waterford County Museum Society was founded to run the museum. The aims of the Society are :
The Society is also interested in publishing various books and pamphlets on items of historical and local interest. A number of these have been published over the years.
A variety of travelling exhibitions were hosted while the Society was assembling material related to local heritage to form the basis of a permanent exhibition illustrating the history of Co. Waterford. Lectures are organised on a self financing basis, with both members and the general public paying admission fees. Field trips are organised on a regular basis.