The present patronage of the parish is the Immaculate Conception. There is only a single church and this was erected on the site of its predecessor in 1826. The Catholic population is stated to have been about eight thousand in 1836.
As already stated, under Knockanore, William Tobin was registered in 1704 as "Popish Parish Priest" of Tallow, Kilwatermoy, Kilcockan and Templemichael. He had been ordained on the continent by the exiled Bishop of Kilfenora.
Rev. Eugene Condon P.P. held office here until 1855. Rev. Edward O'Donnell held the pastorate for three years. Fr. P. Byrne was P.P. until 1866 followed by Rev. James Prendergast until 1902. Rev. William Meagher 1902 - 1924. A few years previous to his death Fr. Meagher was created a Canon.
Fr. Francis Prendergast was transferred from Portlaw in 1924 and created a Canon in 1931.
Author: E.M.P. Beecher Cantillon