|Organisation :||Waterford County Museum|
|Article Title :||Lenihan, Maurice (1811-1895)|
|Page Title :||Biography|
|Page Number :||1|
|Publication Date :||04 October 2010|
|Expiry Date :||Never Expires|
|Category :||Hansard - Lynch|
Journalist, Editor & Author
Maurice Lenihan was born in Waterford on 5 February 1811. He was educated at Saint Patrick's College, Carlow. His first job was as reporter with the Tipperary Free Press in 1831, and in 1833, he became editor of the Waterford Chronicle. Between 1841 and 1843 he was editor of the Limerick Reporter. Lenihan was friends with O'Connell, Shiel, Father Mathew, amongst other public figures. In 1844 O'Connell encouraged Lenihan to found the Tipperary Vindicator in Nenagh. Their aim was to advocate repeal and disestablishment.
Five years later Lenihan bought the Limerick Reporter and amalgamated both papers under the two names. He was now living in Limerick. In 1866 he published his own work, entitled Limerick: Its History and Antiquities. Lenihan was elected Member of Royal Irish Academy in 1869 and also mayor of Limerick between 1883 and 1885. He died in Limerick on Christmas Day 1895.