At the Dissolution it was granted, with the lands of Ballinatray and Rhincrew, to Sir Walter Raleigh, by whom the estate was assigned to the Earl of Cork. The parish comprises 8215 statute acres, of which about 400 are woodland, 900 bog, and the remainder arable and pasture; the land is of good quality and principally under tillage. The scenery is pleasingly diversified, and embellished with woods and thriving plantations. Ballinatray, a seat here, is finely situated in a highly improved demensne, comprising nearly 1500 acres; the deer-park is well stocked, and the grounds are tastefully disposed, and enriched with flourishing plantations.
The other seats are Cherrymount, Garryduff, Woodview, Templemichael House and Newtown; there are also several other respectable houses within the limits of the parish. A constabulary police force is stationed here .
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, united to that of Kilcockan, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire; the rectory is impropriate in R, Smyth, Esq. The tithe rent-charge of the parish is £495.11., of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; the entire tithe of the benefice of the vicar is £238.2. There is a glebe of three roods in Kilcockan, but no glebe-house. The church is a neat edifice, rebuilt in 1824 on the site of the ancient structure, the late Board of First Fruits contributing £500.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union, called Knockanore and comprising the parishes of Templemichael, Kilcockan, and Kilwatermoy; there are three chapels. The remains of St. Molanfide's Abbey are very extentsive, and, being thickly overspread with ivy, have a very picturesque and interesting apperance; they are preserved with great care: in the interior is a modern statue of the founder, habited in the costume of his order, erected on a pedestal. A little below these remains are the ruins of the castle of Templemichael, which appears to have been demolished by gunpowder; and to the south, on an eminence called Rhincrew, are the ruins of another building, destroyed by similar means.