Molly Walsh, was the only daughter and eldest child of Maurice and Catherine Walsh (nee Callaghan). She was born in Kilmacthomas in 1894. She had five brothers, Richard, Michael, Patrick and John. Molly was an active member of the local branch of Cumann na mBan during the War of Independence.
Molly's brother, John was a member of Thomas Keating's column of the west Waterford Brigade and fought in the War of Independence and the subsequent Civil War on the anti-treaty side. He was arrested in March 1923 by the Free State army and taken to Kilkenny Jail. Molly told the story of how John and his comrades had decided not to co-operate or tell their names when there was a morning roll call in the prison. John was first in line and was beaten and shot for refusing to tell his name. He died on March 14th 1923 in the prison hospital. Molly travelled to Kilkenny to see him in a pony and trap when she got word of what happened but he was dead by the time she reached Kilkenny. He was brought home to Kilmacthomas to be waked and then buried in the Republican plot in Kilrossanty. Walsh's Place in Kilmacthomas is called after John Walsh. Molly always wore her "Black and Tan" Veterans medal proudly to all Easter Rising commemorations in subsequent years but spoke very little of those days in her life. Molly went on to marry Tom Power, The Hill, Kilmacthomas and had ten children.
Author: Chrissy O'Connor Knight & Eddie Cantwell